I am the lucky, arty, funky mummy of three fabulous older children, with whom I have enjoyed many dramas over the years.
My own very different breastfeeding experiences with each of my kids inspired me to train as an NCT breastfeeding counsellor back in 1996.
Nowadays I concentrate my efforts on a local children's centre breastfeeding drop in, as well as on my IBCLC private practice.
As if juggling these things wasn't enough, I'm also a professional artist.
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)
If you live too far away for me to visit, or do not require a face-to-face consultation, we can arrange to speak on the phone or via Skype/Face time. I will let you know whether the problem you are describing is inappropriate for a remote consult. You will still have unlimited access to me via text and email, but further phone calls will be charged.
Remote consult £60 per hour pro rata (minimum £10)
Are you expecting a baby and planning to breastfeed? Most of the time I get calls from women within the first week after delivery. Did you know that having the right information and support in advance greatly increases your chance of success, and can prevent many common challenges?
- This is your second baby and breastfeeding didn't go to plan last time - I will take a full history and work out with you what went wrong, what went well, and make a plan to improve your chances second (or third, or fourth!) time around
- You've heard from friends about the problems they had and want to avoid them from the word go
- You have had previous breast surgery and want a detailed individualised plan
- You want some personalised and experienced coaching to maximise your chances of success
- Whatever the situation, I will work with whatever your personal breastfeeding goal is. Antenatal visit includes a written plan to pack with your maternity notes, and a follow up call after your baby has been born.
Consultation in my home
You are welcome to see me in my home - I'll get the kettle on and settle you on a squashy sofa. You can still bring your partner or mum if you want to, and you can park outside.
Follow up visit
I charge a flat fee regardless of how long I spend with you, so you will get the time that you and your little one deserve. Also, I offer our mums unlimited remote access to me after their visit - you can call, email or text me as often as you like, for as long as you like for no extra fee. I will usually visit you in the comfort of your own home, but if you wish to have your consultation somewhere else - such as the postnatal ward, just let me know when you book.
I charge a flat fee regardless of how long we spend with you, so you will get the time that you and your little one deserve. Also, I offer our mums unlimited remote access after their visit - you can call, email or text me as often as you like, for as long as you like, for no extra fee. I will usually visit you in the comfort of your own home, but if you wish to have your consultation somewhere else - such as the postnatal ward, just let me know when you book.
- "My baby was unable to breast feed and so I had to use an electric medela expressing machine to give my baby breast milk. I did not know how to use my pump properly and I ended up getting engorgement and mastitis which was awful! I tried to seek help with expressing from my mid-wife, my health visitor, the hospital's breast feeding expert, the NCT helpline, the NCT breast feeding expert and also a NHS breast feeding consultant and sadly they were all rather ignorant when it came to issues with expressing milk and how to stop engorgement. I ended up being in a lot of pain and really upset about my situation as I had really wanted to give my baby some expressed breast milk everyday. My husband did some research on the internet to find a lactation consultant and we are so very, very glad that he came across Dreamfeeds. We called up Judith immediately and she very kindly organised for us to see her the next day on a Sunday at her lovely house in Kew. We were all ready to give up on the expressing and get advice from Judith on how to do this without further issues. Judith was very patient and listened to our story and very gently encouraged us to try to give the expressing one last chance. Judith was INCREDIBLE and showed us an amazing technique to express the milk without causing engorgement and all of the awful associated issues it carries. Within 24 hours (yes, just 24 hours...) my breasts were totally back to normal and expressing milk perfectly. I now only express 4 times in 24 hours, so it does not impact too much on my day, but I feel so happy that I am providing my baby with breast milk every day! I am so incredibly grateful to Judith, who has just been amazing and I have already been recommending her amazing service to all of the NCT ladies. Thank you so very much - you have been a wonderful support at a difficult time."
- "Judith visited my home at a time when I was incredibly stressed about breastfeeding. She was patient and supportive and made me feel 'normal' that I was finding feeding my daughter so difficult. I would not hesitate to recommend her service."
- "I met Judith when my daughter was six days old and I was really struggling to get her to latch onto my breast. I was expressing for every feed and was ready to switch to formula, despite having been very committed to breastfeeding throughout my pregnancy. The problem was that my nipples are very flat and my breasts are very large, and my daughter simply could not latch on. I was very tearful when I spoke to Judith on the phone and she managed to calm me down and talked to me very compassionately and encouragingly. Judith suggested we try nipple shields (which shape the nipple into a teat to make latching much easier). Judith did a home visit and together we tried the nipple shields and they worked immediately. My daughter learned how to latch and I learned how to get her on and off the breast and how to sit comfortably and support my daughter while feeding. At the end of an hour and a half's session with Judith I was confident that I would continue to exclusively breastfeed my daughter. Judith stayed in touch with me to check how wee were getting on and to answer all my questions. We also met again a week later to refresh the lesson of how to latch and to try without the nipple shields. It was an excellent refresher class and Judith was very encouraging and calm. My daughter is now nearly 11 weeks old and thriving. I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter and plan to continue breastfeeding until she is at least 6 months old and beyond. My husband and I will always be grateful to Judith for teaching me how to breastfeed, and for her kindness and patience in doing so."