I'm a qualified Night Nanny and Children's Sleep Coach. I work with families with children from newborn to 7 years of age, and specialise in using holistic approaches to help families get the sleep they need.
I have three children who are all in primary school now. My first two were born while my husband and I were living overseas in Australia, and my third was born in London. They are (mostly!) good slepers now, but trust me it was a different story with my eldest! I know what it's like to be totally exhausted, living away from family, and unable to see a light at the end of the tunnel!
In our pre-baby days, we thought we knew what it was like to be sleep deprived. After a late night, we might have felt grumpy, found it hard to concentrate at work, and our bodies felt a bit slower. We had a great luxury then though...we were in control. If we needed to get back to our normal selves, we could take an early night, have a lie in, and normal service would be resumed.
Fast forward a few years, babies have been born, and the last full night of sleep feels like a lifetime ago. You have dealt with labour, childbirth, feeding, adjusting to life as a parent, and a barrage of hormones to boot. Added to this, living away from extended family, or dealing with health issues such as allergies and reflux, can leave parents sleep deprived and at sometimes feeling at the end of their tether.
This is where I can help parents turn things around. For parents feeling overwhelmed by lack of sleep and the parenting challenges they have faced so far, simply talking things through in a space where there is no judgement, and only empathy can in itself be hugely helpful. During consultations, I provide parents with evidence based advice on normal sleep behaviours. Where families are facing partiular sleep challenges, I will help identify the possible causes, and where appropriate, offer advice and gentle strategies that will help the whole family enjoy better sleep.
My experience includes supporting families with twins, colic, reflux, allergies, complex health issues, as well as foster and adopted families.
In my role as a children's sleep coach, I have appeared on the BBC1 Wales documentary 'Help we're having a baby!' I have also appeared on the ITV news speaking about sleep in babies and how new parents can manage the early months of sleep disruption.
I offer an obligation-free 15 minute consultation, so if you'd like to take advantage of this, please call me on 07979 186342, or drop me a line at email@example.com.
- Holistic Sleep Coaching: OCN level 5 (degree level)
- Accredited Children's Sleep Practitioner through The Children's Sleep Charity (60 hours of study and CPD)
- Be Ready To Parent Sleep & Sleep Training: OCN level 4
- MNT Sleep training: OCN level 3
- Paediatric First Aid (12 hours)
Holistic Sleep Coaching support for ages 7 months – 7 years (Skype)
The Holistic Sleep Coaching package allows parents to take a step back and look at what might be affecting their child's sleep, and how sleep for the whole family can be improved. With this knowledge in place, I can talk you through gentle and age-appropriate routines and strategies (lots of which will be completely passive and stress-free) that will help you start to turn things around. What ever your goal, whether it is to move away from co-sleeping, reduce night feeds, improve bedtime settling, or reduce night waking, we can make a plan to help get you there!
The Holistic Sleep Coaching package includes:
+ Full anaysis of a 2-day sleep diary prior to our consultation (although if you are too exhausted to complete a diary, don't worry - you can talk me through if it that is easier!)
+ 60-90 minute consultation via telephone, Skype or FaceTime. During this time, we will unravel the issue(s) affecting your child's sleep, and put together a straight-forward and manageable plan to gently turn things around.
+ A bespoke plan will be emailed to you. This will include suggestions for daytime routines and activities (if appropriate), an evening routine, as well as a summary of the techniques we have discussed for settling at the start of the night and during the night.
+ I will be with you every step of the way with unlimited support for a month as you put the plan into place. This may be by telephone, email, or text - whatever works best for you.
If you would like to have a chat to find out more, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on 07979 18642.
Sleep in the first 6 months (Skype Consultation)
Adjusting to life as a new parent is an amazing journey, but it definitely has it's tougher times. Frequent feeding and fragmented sleep is the biological norm, but as parents, we are bombarded with so much advice about caring for our children, it can be easy to start doubting ourselves and wonder whether we are doing things 'right'.
If whatever you are doing feels right, and works, then carry on. Don't worry too much about 'making a rod for your own back'. Sleep routines and habits can be adjusted if needed as your child grows. However, if things are feeling tough, or if you would simply like to learn more about normal sleep behaviour, and how you might be able to optimise sleep for your family, then this package is for you.
The Young Baby Sleep Consultation package includes:
+ A 1 - 1.5 hour consultation on Skype, Facetime or telephone.
Consultations will be tailored to your specific needs, but they may include advice about:
- Normal sleep behaviours in the first 6 months
- Safe sleep
- Introducing bedtime routines
- Settling strategies
- Supporting babies with reflux, colic or allergies
- Optimising parental sleep and coping with daytime fatigue
+ A written summary of the points we've discussed and suggestions on how you may optimise sleep within your family.
+ A follow up telephone call within a fortnight of the consultation.
If you would like to chat more about how I might be able to support you, please feel free to give me a call on 07979 186342. Alternatively, you can email me at email@example.com
Holistic sleep coaching – 1 week of additional support
I stress to each family who I work with that we will work at the pace that feels right to them. My Holistic Sleep Coaching package includes 1 month of unlimited support, and this is normally about the right amount of time for things to have improved, and parents to be feeling confident about optimising both their child's and their own sleep going forward.
If you would like some additional support though, either added on to the original month, or within 3 months of your original Holistic sleep coaching package, then this is for you. Each additional week includes unlimited support, either by email or telephone - whatever works best for you.
- 'We were having great difficulty getting Jack to sleep each night and he usually went on to wake up every 1-2 hours. Often the only way we could get him back to sleep was by rocking him and giving him milk. It was exhausting and we were feeling really desperate! Louise was so reassuring, warm and patient and I immediately felt that Jack was in extremely capable hands...' Mum of Jack, 7 months
- 'Louise came to support us when Hector was 8 months old. He was waking many times during the night and struggling with daytime naps too. She instantly put us at ease when she arrived and immediately clicked with Hector too, who was very excited to have a new face to play with. The first night was a little difficult and there were a few tears from Hector, but not nearly as much as we expected. Louise was calm and consistent, settling him quickly on every occasion. In the morning he woke refreshed and happy. For the few days that she stayed with us, she helped with everything - daily sleep patterns, helping with weaning, giving me the opportunity to run errands whilst she looked after Hector! Through all of this Hector was happy and really enjoyed having Louise around. He has gone from strength to strength upon following Louise's advice. I really could not have asked for more - she was like a knowledgeable and supportive friend who helped us through a tricky transition period.' Mum of Hector, 8 months
- 'I contacted Louise after a friend suggested her for our 2 year old who had started waking at night. We had a 1 hour phone consultation. I have loved her approach to our situation & the suggestions she has given us. She has given us lots of gentle ideas that are all very practical & easy to follow/implement. Night times have been MUCH calmer with pretty much no tears since starting Louise's plan. And we noticed a difference in our daughter's sleeping within a night or two. And last night, night 6 since following Louise's plan, our daughter slept 12 hours straight. In addition to the written plan she sent me, she has also been contactable since our initial phone call to offer advice etc. I would recommend her 100%!' Mum of Autumn, 2 years
- "Louise is amazing! She’s helped us get our 9 month old daughter from bed sharing and still waking every hour through the night, to sleeping 10 hours straight in less than a week. Her methods are gentle, something that really mattered to us. Louise herself is lovely to work with and we didn’t feel judged in any way. I feel like we finally found the sensible middle way between harsh sleep training and resigning ourself to not sleeping for a long time to come. I’m returning to work in a week and Louise’s help has lifted a weight from my mind. I only wish we had contacted Louise a couple of months sooner so I’d been less tired for the last couple of months of my mat leave!" Mum of Emmeline, 9 months.
- "We contacted Louise when our baby was nine months old on a recommendation from a friend. We had been struggling for a while to settle Cora at bedtime without either feeding or rocking her to sleep. She would also wake multiple times in the night, and regularly be awake for two hours plus. Feeding and rocking her back to sleep were no longer working and we were sleep deprived and at our wits end. We live in Bristol but Louise was happy to Skype/FaceTime us so that we could chat "in person". She instantly reassured us that this was not an unusual situation, and would be straightforward to address. She gave us some immediate suggestions to try that evening, and then emailed us a detailed plan the following day. We were happy with the plan as it involved no "crying it out". It was gentle and gradual but allowed us to go with our instincts with Cora. We did nothing that felt uncomfortable. We called/text Louise on a few occasions when we felt things were sliding out of control again. Every time she reassured us and gave us helpful suggestions - which always worked! When we contacted Louise we were at the end of our tether, were all out of ideas and struggling to get through night after night. We were at a point where we needed to have our hands held for a while, and this is exactly what Louise did. There were times when it was challenging, as Cora was very stuck in her ways, but after tweaking her routine gently, within a couple of days she had stopped waking before midnight and was waking only twice during the night. Within a couple of weeks we were able to comfort and settle her quickly in her cot, and after a month she was (for the most part - there are always teeth, colds and clock changes to deal with!) self settling for every nap and at bedtime, and sleeping from 7pm-6am. If you'd told us a month earlier that that would have been possible we would never have believed it. Louise I would recommend you to everyone, you were our angel and saviour! Thank you so much. " Mum of Cora, 9 months
- "I was recommended to Louise by a friend as I was at my absolute wits end. My son was 13 months at the time. He had been a bad sleeper since birth waking every 1 - 2 hours screaming and inconsolable and out of desperation I would bring him into our bed most nights so I could get a little more sleep but even then he would still wake up just as often. I was still breastfeeding him to sleep and a few times during the night which I really wanted to stop but didn’t know how else to get him to sleep and stay asleep and was also struggling with day naps too. He was grumpy, tired and miserable most days and didn’t eat much solid food. After over a year of very broken sleep, I was tired and desperate! I had a Skype consultation with Louise and liked her instantly as she has a wonderful caring manner and made me feel comfortable and reassured. She helped get to the root cause of my sons poor sleeping habits and put in place a plan to help fix it. She never once “told” me what to do; only suggested, supported and made me feel empowered to tackle it head on. She suggested a firm but gentle approach which I was comfortable with and at no point did she ever suggest leaving him to cry it out which I was very happy about as I did not want to go that route. After the first week of implementing her plan, he was totally night weaned and the night wakings became easier and shorter and, by three weeks in, he was sleeping THROUGH THE NIGHT from 7pm - 7am in his own cot in his room with ZERO wakings and has now been doing this every single night for 7 weeks and counting (even through teething and illness)...and is also doing a good 1.5 hour nap after lunch. I still can’t believe it and keep pinching myself thinking I’m dreaming! Just by making a few simple changes that Louise suggested he is now a different baby that LOVES sleeping! He is also much happier during the day and is eating much more solid food which I’m thrilled about. Our lives have completely changed, we have our evenings back and the whole family gets a full nights peaceful sleep and it’s all thanks to Louise. I couldn’t recommend her highly enough. She is a miracle worker!" Mum of Benji, 13 months